Many thanks to all who visited my blog today. It was very nice to hear from everyone!
The initial feedback to my "To Blog or Not to Blog?" question came back overwhelmingly positive; the only dissenter suggested that i may be too old for this stuff... and i mean to tell ya' i laid some smack down on him. Oh, yeah. Without missing a beat i whipped out a link to a Nonagenarian's blog that is way better than mine; proving that i am NOT too old, but simply lacking in talent.
Did that come out right?
Anyway, i promised yesterday to explain the name of my blog, and i'm a man of my word. So here it is:
I take it on faith that the translation for "Mari Bébête" is "silly husband". Note that I am not so naive as to discount the possibility that -- in classic "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" style -- i've been given a self-deprecating thing to say about myself in a foreign language so that French speakers are having a heyday at my expense. In reality i only know enough French to discuss the whereabouts of ham (jambon)... but i digress.
Back to my story: Having been preceded in the blogosphere by my lovely, talented, and French-speaking wife, Petite, I had already been dubbed "Mari" for purposes of semi-anonymous online identification. (I am convinced that "mari" is, in fact, French for "husband".) Needing a "last name" to properly sign up for a G-mail account, I had to consult Petite for another French word that could fill that role. The first word or two we tried was already taken; "silly husband", however, was remarkably available both on Blogspot and G-mail. Plus it's quite fun to type é and ê on a Mac, putting PC users at a disadvantage to make two accents in such quick succession, which is like gravy. (Apologies to 95% of the computer-using world.)
So there you have it.
Perhaps tomorrow i'll tell you about my pending birthday present and/or celebrate the tenth (visit) anniversary of my blog. I will undoubtedly test my ability to incorporate an image into my blog. So come back real soon!
Monday, February 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
you said, "laid some smack down on him." wow! i guess you're not as old as we all thought!
My secret, burning question is... did i use the phrase correctly??? ;)
i believe so. i think the "infinitive" of the phrase would be, "to lay the smackdown on someone." i think you modified it acceptably.
beth getting all grammatical on hip hop slang. I'm lovin' it! ;)
Post a Comment